“Our understanding of how language typically develops is based on a large body of research that details the stages of language development, from pre-linguistic stages through stages of conversational competence. This scientific evidence can be used to determine how to identify children’s strengths and challenges in the development of communication, language, and speech,” Sima Gerber 2015.
- Bloom, L. & Tinker, E. (2001). The Intentionality Model and Language Acquisition: Engagement, Effort and the Essential Tension. Monographs of the Society for Research in Child Development, 267, Vol. 66, 4.
- *Lahey, M. (1988). What is Language? Language Disorders and Language Development. Needham, MA: MacMillian Publishing Company, pp. 1-19.
- *Goldin-Meadow, S., (2007) Pointing Sets the Stage for Learning Language – and Creating Language. Child Development, May/June 2007, 78(3, 741-745).
- *Goldin-Meadow, S., Levine, S.C., Hedges, L.V., Huttenlocher, J, Raudenbush, S.W. & Small, S.L., (2014) New Evidence About Language and Cognitive Development Based on a Longitudinal Study. American Psychologist, September 2014, 69 (6, 588-599).
- *Paparella, T, Stickles Goods, K, Freeman, S, Kasari, C., (2011) The Emergence of Nonverbal Joint Attention and Requesting Skills in Young Children with Autism. Journal of Communication Disorders, Nov-Dec, 44 (6, 569-583).
- *Gerber, S. & Szabo Wankoff, Lorain (2012). Historical and Contemporary Views of the Nature-Nurture Debate: A Continuum of Perspectives for the Speech-Language Pathologist. Language Development – Foundations, Processes and Clinical Application. Jones and Bartlett Publishers, pp. 21-43.
- Mottron, L., (2017) Should We Change Targets and Methods of Early Intervention in Autism, in Favor of a Strengths-based Education? Eur Child Adolescent Psychiatry (26:815-825). View PDF
- Shulman, B. & Capone, N. (2012). Language Development: Foundations, Processes, & Clinical Applications. Sudbury, MA.:Jones and Bartlett Publishers.
- Weiss, A. (2010 ) Comprehension of Language. Studying Language Comprehension in Young Children. Chapter 11
Developmental Individual-Difference Relationship Based Model®
- *Dunst, C.J., Trivette, C.M, & Hamby, D.W. (2012) Meta-Analysis of Studies Incorporating the Interests of Young Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders into Early Intervention Practices. Autism Research and Treatment, 2012, 1-10.
- *Cullinane, D. (2014). Evidence Base for the DIRFloortime® Approach.
- *Interdisciplinary Council on Development and Learning, DIR® and DIR/Floortime® Evidence-Based Quick Facts
- Solomon, R, Van Egeren, L, Mahoney, G, Quon, M & Zimmerman P. ( 2014) PLAY Project Home Consultation Intervention Program for you Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Journal of Developmental & Behavioral Pediatrics, 2014, 475-485.
*Contain easy reference link to view original article.